Sunday, January 15, 2017

Tequila is Missing

I don't remember what the contest in 7th grade English was about, but I won it and for my outstandingness, I got first dibs at a pile of Promotional Albums.  The pickings were slim: Bread, Neil Diamond, Anne Murray, Three Dog Night, The Carpenters... and then there was this:

Obverse

Hello!  I'd never heard of a Tony Williams Lifetime or of the expression Bum's Rush, but the epic story told in the immediate style and colors of the jacket, and in cryptic liner notes that managed to paint a vivid picture in my mind of the dark incident that inspired the album, sang to me.  And thus it came to pass that Tony Williams Lifetime's The Old Bum's Rush was among the first things in this world that I came into on my own.

Reverse: The Bum's Rush comes because You Make It Easy to explain What It's Not About. (Being Thrown out more than Once - the animal Rush)- Yeah.
Having been, and will be, I am writing "Bunky Loves Luckie" on the wall of the Lodge Hall and telling the story of old folks, the Rush of the Sea.
Side 2
The Rush Changes.
"Get Down From There"
A frightening rush, being in that room  with all those people doing the bang, etc. - and being asked to leave ... Mmm?
I LOVE IT -
T.W. 





















Arriving home that day with my prize, I had no expectations, only interrogations when I placed the record on the turntable, cranked it up and heard the first crackle of the needle dropping on the vinyl, so I could not foresee that the album would open up for me a world of adulthood and transcendence. From the first taps of Tony William's drumsticks on his snare introducing the mellow, yearning groove of the first song, I was transfixed.  More complex and inventive than pure pop, too funky and vernacular to be just avant garde, the album's 7 tracks delivered on the promise of the cover to be a different kind of experience.  Tony Williams' compositions gave him room to flex his incomparable technique and showcase the tightness of the band, but never at the expense of maximum listener involvement. Its accessible innovations aside, being ensconced for much of my life to that point in the homogenous, rural and wintry world of the deep American Northeast, I'd never heard anything like it. But the revelation was the vocalist, Tequila, with a voice of soulful sexiness that enveloped me in a hot bath of strong new emotions and compelled me into the world of her lyrics:


Easy, you make it easy 
Easy, you make it easy 
Easy

Had my share of lovers and I've seen things that you never have seen before 
though it makes you different 
and I'd be insatiable for asking more

I've traveled many circles and I've met the king and queen of Pompadour
and though it makes you different 
And I'd be insensitive for asking more.

Even though I've heard some words spoken
sailed on wings of butterflies
there's one thing that I'm certain
you make it easy

I've had my share of lovers, yes sir
and I've seen things you've never seen before
though it makes you different
And I'd be insatiable

Easy, make it easy
Sometimes when a doubt crosses my mind
And seems to become more alive
Something you do makes me want to come alive
You make it easy, it's so easy.  

The power of her voice and the fearlessness with which she invented ways to wring expression from it was almost frightening to me at first, but it soon came to excite me as much as Tony William's songwriting and playing.  If there was an undreamed of way to stretch a syllable, she would go there. From every corner of her voice dripped Soul, stripped bare.  She played the spectrum between hot and cool like a Stradivarius.  In the magic of her voice, I became a man that day.  (I like to think.  It's actually taken me much longer.)


From many years of perspective, I can now appreciate that this rare album (that I won) is one of the most overlooked masterpieces of all time, and Tequila is one of the great missing persons. Loving her voice as I do, it's hard to imagine how she could have apparently disappeared with very little in the way of a trace.  But from the apex of her work with Tony Williams, and on the landmark song, Turn Off the Light, that she co-wrote and performed as Laura "Tequila" Logan with former Lifetime keyboardist Larry Young on the album Fuel (the infectious bass-line of which is sampled on Salt-n-Pepa's 1997 track Say Ooh), she appears to have receded back into the void of non-fame that I myself occupy.  Like me, she doesn't even have a Wikipedia page (although her work is mentioned in the contexts of Tony Williams' and Larry Young's projects).  Even going as far as co-writing and recording Tony Williams' unreleased 1975 Wildlife tracks (with Jack Bruce on bass), she remains a fixture of the "Promotional Copy - Not for Sale" sphere of the recording industry.  She is in the shadows of the mis-google "Linda Tequila Logan".  But is she really the same Laura Tequila Logan who proclaims herself to be "happily self-employed" on her Facebook profile, or the one credited with harp on the entry for the 1994 recording Pomp & Pipes: Powerful Music for Organ & Winds on allmusic.com?

Have you seen this person? Laura "Tequila" Logan, bottom left, on the back cover of Larry Young's 1975 LP, Fuel. Sadly, we can no longer ask Larry Young or Tony Williams.
How is she not known?  Where did she go?  What songs have I not heard and what songs did she not get to sing?

Pending the answers to these questions, let this stand as an ode to the tantalizing promise that lies in obscurity:



6 comments:

  1. Laura Tequila Logan was my mom you can contact me if you’d like my father is Marvin Blackman saxophone player

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can one contact you to get more information about your mother for an upcoming article on Larry Young? Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Hello Unknown! You come from amazing parents! I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for a very inadequate tribute to your mother's talent. When I wrote this at the start of my blogging career, I only wanted to share my complete mystification and frustration that there seemed to be so little information available about such an amazing singer. Little did I know this would become by far my most read post. So my apology is to your mother, to you and to my fellow fans and wonderers who must be so disappointed to find only this when they were surely searching for more. Thank you so much for reaching out and for your offer. If you have any ideas about how I could contact you, I'd love to hear them. I'll give some thought as well. Thanks once again and much respect to your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I am a prolific music journalist based in Los Angeles. Here is a link to just some of my credits as compiled by All Music Guide:

    https://www.allmusic.com/artist/a-scott-galloway-mn0000676763

    I am working on a project involving music Ms. Logan composed. I have been searching for her, contacting many A-list people...so far to no avail. My intentions are serious and business, and time is of the essence. I would love to speak to "Unknown" and "Eight" ASAP if at possible. I will not waste your time.

    Respectfully,

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Scott, thank you so much for the information. You sound like the right person for the job.

    To Scott and Unknown, I would be very happy to facilitate a meeting if you are agreeable or to help in any other way I can. Please contact me at unspeakableasheck @ gmail.com (minus spaces) and I will coordinate as needed.

    Thanks again to you both. I hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura Tequila Logan , before the Tequila which was (Tequilla Mockingbird ) was my wife in 1970 before Tony . This was during a period where she had replaced Ronnie of the Ronettes who continued to perform on the road with Estelle after Ronnie's marriage to Sperctor . we drifted and i didn't know she had children or had passed . if you want to know more about her then , feel free to contact me at tom @ tbany.com
    Tom Balsley FASLA National Design Medal

    ReplyDelete